I'm not exactly sure why I'm going to put this out there...and honestly there's not an easy way to say it but I need to. I have never really "recovered" from my eating disorder. I have done better at times and worse at times but for the most part I've just wanted to pretend it was gone so that maybe somehow it would miraculously disappear. But it hasn't worked. If anything, I've just normalized what I do to the point that I forget what I do isn't "normal". What, most people don't throw up their food after they eat?
There have definitely been times when I've done a LOT better and times when I've done a LOT worse, but I don't want to settle for "better" anymore. I am so so SO sick of the eating disorder, in fact I think hate is a pretty strong emotion and I don't want to think of myself as a hateful person but I HATE my eating disorder. I'm sick of working so hard to do better only to find myself regressing and backtracking when things get hard (and let's be honest...when is life NOT hard?). I'm sick of what it does to me--I'm sick of feeling depleted, guilty, depressed, anxious, and constantly thinking in my head that if people only knew how much I still struggle they would agree that I'm the biggest failure ever. I'm sick of all the lies and distortions that I've come to believe are 100% real: "I'm already so fat that if I start eating normally I'll turn into a whale; I NEED the control and safety net of the ED; I won't be able to tolerate my anxiety without the immediate relief and numbing effect I get from my behaviors; I've been this way for so long I'll never be able to change, other people may be able to recover completely but I'm a lost cause...the list goes on and on!
But this is the truth: Yes, I most likely will gain weight when I start nourishing and taking care of my precious body the way it deserves, but that will be a GOOD thing. I will have energy to do the things I love...like running! Yes at times in the past exercise was an unhealthy obsession in my life but it's also one of the biggest motivators for me to totally recover. I want the energy to run without constantly getting injured. I want to hike and bike and ski and water-ski and do all the other things I love. Next, I don't need the false sense of control I get from the eating disorder...because that's all it is, an ILLUSION! In reality it makes my life out of control and it's a poisonous, thorny safety net at best. I WILL be able to handle my anxiety or any other extreme emotional swings without it, in fact those things won't be nearly as bad when it's gone since I think my ED is the reason I have a lot of those problems in the first place. And finally, I am NOT a hopeless, lost cause. Yes, I have struggled for a long time (12+ years, more like 20+ if you count the messed up thoughts in my head about myself and my body that I've had since I was a tiny kid...I remember sitting in the bath tub when I was SIX years old and pinching the fat on my thighs, telling myself if I could just get rid of that I'd be okay) but maybe the length of my struggle can work to my advantage. I've learned a lot over the years and hopefully the pain and suffering I've gone through will serve as a reminder that I NEVER want to go back.
So if you've made it through this marathon of an explanation here's the exciting part: something has finally flipped inside of me and I am done with the ED. Purging is no longer an option, eating is a must, and I'm going to do whatever it takes to be 110% recovered. Parts of that will take time; it may be years before I can eat a large meal without wanting to cry and feeling like I've turned into a whale. But other parts of this can change relatively quickly. I decided almost a week ago that purging will no longer be a part of my life and if you knew how hard the last 6 days have been you'd be embarrassed for me...but I've DONE it! And I know I can keep doing it, but not always on my own.
It's so hard for me to ask for help but more than ever before I am learning that it's okay to need support. I have been praying like never before and I get emotional just thinking about the heavenly blessings of hope, peace, and strength that have been poured down upon me lately. I am so grateful to be able to feel the love of my Heavenly Father again and to know He will NEVER give up on me. And I am so blessed to have such wonderful family and friends in my life that I know will support me if I only ask for help...but that's also the hard part for me. I never want to impose or burden anyone and I definitely don't want to be selfish by focusing on my own needs and problems when there are people out there with problems so much worse than mine. But I've realized that reaching out to others is not selfish or imposing. In fact, I LOVE it when others are open with me and ask for help when they need it.
So here's me being brave and asking for help (and I'm sure I'll have to fight feelings of guilt and regret for writing this but so be it). I know most of you have insanely busy lives so please, feel NO pressure to add this to your ridiculously long list of things to do, but if you have a minute to cheer me on by leaving a comment here, or if you ever want to go to lunch with me and my crazy kids, or if you want to be brave and play with those crazy kids while I scrub your toilets or do your dishes to expel some of my hyperactive energy I would forever be in your debt! (and no, I am not kidding...why I enjoy cleaning other people's houses when I can barely stay on top of my own is beyond me!)
P.S. If this post was way too depressing and you want something to brighten your mood you can check out the more exciting happenings of our lives here!

22 comments:
You inspire me with how brave you are to put all of this out there. I love you so much and only wish the best for you!
Like I said in your other post, I am here for you and am constantly cheering you on!
Also like I said before, if you need a babysitter or someone to hang out with, I am always around and not up to much other than learning how to raise my own 2 month old!
Hit me up anytime you'd like sweetie.
Love You!
xoxo
ali
Courntey! I wished I lived closer so I could say hi and cheer you on in person. I can't believe we met over ten years ago. It's been wonderful to see your family grow, and I appreciate how honest and open you are with your struggles with ED. I believe most of us have personal struggles and demons that we don't dare share for fear of, you know, everything. But if we were able to open up about them and allow people in they would probably become less insurmountable. Thank you for sharing, and know that I think about your family all the time. You're amazing.
Sweet Courtney, I am soooooooooo proud of you! It took great courage and strength to share your struggles with all of us. We should all be this truthful about our trials. Because, of course, we all them!!! You are wonderful in every way and I know why Ed has tried so hard all these years to bring you down!!
I am, of course, on your side, in your camp, ready to fight the battle with you!!! I know you are stronger than ED!!!!! Let's go to breakfast, lunch and dinner together!! Six days is awesome, pretty soon it will be six weeks, then six months, then six years and then forever!!
Court-
You are amazing! Your bravery and persistence is an example to all of us. This sounds so cheesy, but I am so proud of you!
Love,
Michelle
Go Court!!! I'm coming in May and would love to get lunch with you and ALL of our crazy kids! :-) It's amazing how with the help of our Heavenly Father and the Atonement of Jesus Christ, anything is possible. I know you can do it! Hang in there and know that I'm thinking of you and praying for a speedy, FULL and FINAL recovery! xoxo
Courtney! You will make it! If you knew all of the crazy and ridiculous things we all do that we have always done and have been trying to change about ourselves, you wouldn't feel embarrassed about this at all! Thanks for keeping in touch. Wish I lived closer. The next time I'm in Salt Lake we have to see each other!
Love you,
Sarah
COURTNEY!
Come play, come to go lunch, I want to see you and hang out with you and continue to be inspired by you as I have been since we were 4 years old!!! And, heck, come visit in Houston when we move this summer and hang out, my crazy kids with yours! Love you tons, you're always in our prayers, and please PLEASE can we hang out soon?
I am so thrilled that you are writing on your blog again. You are such an inspiration to me. I admire SO much your ability to "confess" to everyone your struggles. EVERYONE has something or another that they have to deal with.
Way to go on 6 days! Keep it up. You are strong and you have the power to kick this thing. You are amazing!
I wish we were in SL so we could get together. I hear ya on needing to expend all that pent up energy!
You really need to write a book. I have always thought that and I still do. You are such an amazing woman, and I am so impressed by you. You are so strong and capable and definitely 100% able to overcome this..and you ARE overcoming it now! Way to go! John, Johnny, and Hannah are so blessed to have you.
Courtney!!
I always thought you were amazing and you still are. You have very good insight into yourself and your eating disorder. There is nothing stopping you now! Its hard to believe someone so knowledgeable and insightful about themselves, has an eating disorder. It is NOT you!! You are SO much more. Even in the little time I was around you,I could see there was something real and so special beyond the ED about you. I really think Satan works the hardest on people with the kind of potential for greatness you have!
If you ever want to do lunch or hang out (or make the jaunt to Saratoga Springs to clean my toilets:).. Let me know!!
There really is something about cleaning a toilet bowl, isn’t there?? Therapeutic?? Energizing?? I am fond of it too!!!
Well. What do I say? First off- you are doing terrifically! And I’m so glad/proud that you have jump- started this bloggie again and that you are so open about things. I am truly rooting for you. And you bet that my prayer time definitely has plenty of space in it to summon the heavens for your cause.
Courtney- there is no reason why you can’t overcome this completely. You are way bigger and better than this. Your life was not meant to be choked by this. And you have handled this all beautifully- so don’t beat yourself up for the shortcomings or the times you’ve backtracked. All you can do is look forward with faith in yourself and in the Lord because He’s the only one who can really take it all away. We, on our own, of course, are nothing. With him, we are awesome!!:) And you are NO exception! You are loved by Him! Remember that and don’t ever forget it!
You know, and I was thinking about how I thwart temptations within my own life- I don’t care who you are- as mortals here on earth, we ALL have a real battle with Satan underway. Whether it’s a temptation to exercise more than needed, put lame priorities above those that matter most, not do our visiting teaching for a month, give into materialism and believe we need “more” or “better”- or whether we are tempted to gossip/fault find, criticize, get angry, raise contention in our homes---whatever that enticement may be, we each have a real fight for overcoming certain things.
What I like to do then, when I feel tempted to do something that is less than who I really am, instantly in my head I think of people who I revere and admire the most: my husband. The Savior. My mom. My kids. And other people that I love—and the images of their faces alone compels me so quickly to SHUN away as quickly as possible from that temptation.
Yours is easier said than done because it’s a HABIT that has been formed and so deeply given into for years and years. Each time you give into addictive behaviors and justify them, Satan has won a bit more. Each time however, you stand up to him and refrain, YOU have overcome. I love the scripture account of Jesus walking on the water- he invites Peter to join him- as Peter steps out and sees the storms above him raging, he is overcome by fear, falls into the water and the Lord “immediately reaches forth” his hand to save Peter. It’s a beautiful thought AND an even more beautiful reality. The Lord, as you well know, stands ready to pull you out of the depths of your sorest trials if we will let Him. I love the Lord because when we stand on as far on His side as possible, it doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll be exempt from excruciating trials of our faith or complex problems, but it does mean He will help us- bless us- bestow tender mercies and miracles upon us.
Remember too- “look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not”. D&C 6:33 ( I think)
Court, again, I am rooting for you!! Prayers, temple roll, anything! Keep doing what you’re doing! Let’s play again soon! Thank you so much for being such a good friend to me- for coming all the way out to my house and playing. You have no idea how much it meant!:)
Love ya forever. KECM
Courney:
You can do this. You can. I'm dealing with some big issues myself these days and willpower is not my forte when it comes to certain things. I'm impressed with your sharing and your processing and your realizing and your reaching out. We need to get together in person now that we live closer to each other. I can't believe John is 2 - seems like I just got the email announcing his birth! I'm going to check out your family blog now and learn more. But know you're in my thoughts and prayers, even as I gear up for my own big stress - the first BIG Power of Moms Retreat - 100 attendees and lots of logistics - keep me in your prayers!
Courtney- Thank you for your honesty and example. For recovering ED people, it's always inspiring to read about motivations. Go for 30 days girl- no, 30 years of blogging if that's what it takes- you can do it! Congrats on 6 days- celebrate every success! Every meal you keep down! It's a great goal- especially having daughters now, for us, to be strong women. I love you- come clean my house? Any time! :)
You are inspiring. You can do this! <3
Court,
I'm in! Let's go eat. Or you can come over and I will serve you bowls of Cadbury Mini Eggs while the boys run crazy and I get to hold baby Hannah. I am grateful to be on the list of 'sharing' friends!
I think I'm going to need a 'i'm done with you' pep talk from you so I can get myself out of my sluggish, lazy rut. Seems like all of my attempts last a day or two. 6 days is huge, feels like miles away for me.
Thanks again for sharing!
jenni
Court, I think you are one of the most amazing people out there! You are the best mom, and I look to you as an example. You can do this! We'll stick with you every step of the way!!!
I love you. Nothing more, nothing less. You are a pillar of strength and courage- always have been for me. HONESTLY. I am behind you 100%.
xoxo
L
Don't give up Courtney. The only failure is one who stops trying! So proud of you and the wonderful young mother you are!!
Courtney I am so glad you have set this goal with this blog, I have been a reader from the beginning and while I may be the worst commentor ever you are constantly in my prayers. I, like every one else, am so amazed by your courage in sharing this with the world, I believe it takes a lot more strength to struggle with something openly like this than keeping it to yourself, I am sure that strength will help you as you continue your journey, plus I am sure your experience is helping more people than you know. I sure wish I lived closer so we could go to lunch sometime, and really the sound of someone else cleaning my house sounds pretty awesome;)!
Oh man! Sorry I'm late with this post but better late than never. :) I love you. (hug) And I am here to help in anyway I can. :)
Also, don't discount your problems! they are just as valid as anyone else so stop thinking "other people have worse problems than me." :) I can tell you that I do NOT envy trying to keep up with two energetic kids! I barely have enough energy to take care of myself let alone two other beings.
You can do this! Want to hang out this weekend? I am free Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. :)
This anon-Mom
Courtney - you ARE a good writer - you share your heart and your hopes and dreams with us. We are praying and pulling and cheering for you. We want to pull through this with you!
All our love, Mom :)
Courtney,
You are so brave and strong! I really admire you for sharing this and being persistent and diligent to overcome this challenge. You can do it!!
Also, let's go to lunch! I'm living in East Millcreek and would love to see you and your cute kids. Our baby girls can be best friends. :) We should definitely do a study abroad reunion with all the girls who are in Utah.
Post a Comment