Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Dry spell...

After all the exciting things I've had to post about the last couple of weeks it's been hard to come up with anything else to write about. And I'll be honest, even though I'm so thrilled and excited to be pregnant, it's also really hard. Not so much physically, since I'm through the yucky 1st trimester nauseous phase and I'm not yet to the uncomfortably large phase, but emotionally I feel like I'm on a never-ending roller coaster.

I know worrying doesn't solve anything, but it's sure hard not to when there are so many unknowns- how will I survive and function on so little sleep? Anyone who knows me well knows I turn into a crazy lunatic when I don't get enough sleep.

How am I going to handle watching the numbers on the scale continue to creep up and up and up? I'm already having a hard enough time with the fact that most of my clothes no longer fit. I know I shouldn't worry about this and there's no doubt in my mind that this baby is worth every pound of weight gain, but I feel so torn and I'm scared about how I'll handle things after I deliver.

How am I going to teach my kids to eat normal and love their bodies when I still have such a hard time myself? Everyone says the most powerful way to teach is by example and that scares me to death because I'm still so far from being the epitome of health.

How will I ever balance getting my own needs met with meeting the constant needs of a new baby? I know we often fulfill our own needs through serving and helping others and I know that nothing is more important than the work that goes on within the walls of the home, yet I'm still scared that some of my hopes, dreams, and ambitions will get lost along the way. I know there are so many different paths motherhood can take, so many variations of what's "right", but how will I determine what combination of self-sacrifice and self-fulfillment is best for me?

The list of questions goes on and on, but I'll stop now because in reality they can all be answered the same way. I know life is about moving forward in the midst of doubt, having faith even when we feel nothing but fear, and trusting that our best efforts will be enough. I know things will work out, that I just need to be patient, and that I need to take things one step at a time. I mean what's the point in stressing over how in the world I'll handle a defiant teenager when this little kiddo won't even be popping out for another 180 days (and not doing much besides eating, sleeping, and making lots of messy diapers for me to change)? Yet sometimes all the knowledge and insight doesn't change the fact that it's just plain hard.

5 comments:

Whitney said...

Courtney,

I can't imagine how hard pregnancy must be....So much of the time our biggest fear is of the unknown and that just so happens to be exactly what you are facing right now. You are an amazing woman and as scary as things must be right now I know you are capable of handling it.

I just want you to know that I have complete faith that you will be an excellent mother. You have an incredible maternal instinct and your child will be so blessed to have you.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your many questions because I haven't been in your shoes. I can however let you know that if you ever need to talk or send an email just venting...I am here to listen.

Love Always,

Whit

brie said...

Court,

I don't know what to say, except you *will* be able to cope. I think it's perhaps one of life's little miracles, little gifts, that after a baby is born, things seem to fall into place. You'll find that some of your old needs will kind of disappear as you meet the needs of your baby, and you'll find that one of your needs will be to take care of your baby's! You'll want it and crave it and love it and wonder how you ever survived without this tiny bundle of screaming love in your life.

I know this is scary, and maybe this isn't helpful - but the weight gain? Honestly, you KNOW you know how to lose it when and if the time is right once you have the baby. You'll watch the numbers go up...but you know what? Just like everything else I've already said...you'll deal. Because it's life, and it goes on, and you'll make it through. Take it from someone who knows.

Please call or email if you need anything or want any support - I'm so fresh from the exact same thing you are going through and will always be her to lean on. Take care, and thanks again for the tube supplies!

V said...

Court....
Don't step on the scale, you know you'll be gaining weight because you've got another person that needs that weight! I wish I could justify my weight gain with a beautiful baby growing in my stomach! I have no doubt that you will be an amazing mother...and I'm so thrilled for you as you go through this amazing time. I think everyone who knows you learns from you. I love when we go out to lunch because I know I will get to have an honest discussion that is deep and is filled with life lessons. Your kids will be just as blessed to have that in their lives.

Katie M. said...

I got on the scale at the dr's office last week, and couldn't even behold my own eyes!!! My OB continued to say, "everything looks good, but you're a bit high on the weight." WHAT?!??!?!?! That threw me and although it's a big embarrassing to admit I'm over the normal weight gain amount, supposedly, I just swallow it and say, it's worth it. THere are so many women out there who struggle for years and years to get preggo, just to find out they can't. And when I am having a vain moment where I feel fat or pimply or whatever, I just tell myself what a blessing it is, that I can even be pregnant!!! You'll be a wonderful mother -- I can only imagine that when our kids are born, we will more fully understand that God gave us our bodies, that He loves us for who we are, and having that motherly insight into this testimony, you will be better able to teach them how to love their bodies regardless!! You don't ever want your own children to suffer, so, I know YOU will do all you can to help them create a positive image of themselves. THat's what parents do, that's what you'll do, you'll be great!!! YOu don't have to worry. Just remember, weight gain, espeically in your case, Court, is a GOOD THING!! Just think of the weight as a way to help both YOU and the baby be healthy. You look wonderful! No sweat!

Hope you're well. kate

The Lambs said...

I had the same worries gnaw at me Courto, and I wish I could say it was easy once the baby came but it takes a lot of prayer and putting yourself back in the pregnant mindset, that a life is dependent on you being able to provide physical, emotional, and spiritual health and in order to do that you have to take care of yourself and you want to because you have so much love for your baby and especially an increased love for your body after knowing what it's been capable of doing despite the odds. It is a conscious daily choice that is definitely possible and I have faith in you. You are beautiful.