Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Just laying it out there

First, a disclaimer. This is not going to be a pretty post. I tend to majorly sugarcoat things and paint a perfect picture but for some reason right now I feel the need to be blunt.

- I am majorly struggling. I have some inklings why, though in many ways I am really confused about this recent downward spiral. It just DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!! But then again, when has anything related to my ED ever made sense? It is by nature entirely illogical (that is, to a rationally thinking human being).

- I do SO freakin' well when I eat around other people. In fact, last week over Thanksgiving I think I out-ate (like my made up word?) my hubby. And that's a major feat! But I forget that special occasions like holidays, birthdays, vacations, etc are usually one, two, at most a handful of meals. And overeating once, twice, even 5 times in a week really doesn't make a big difference. BUT undereating for weeks in anticipation of big events DOES make a difference. Maybe it's normal to do a little "preparation" so to speak, I mean doesn't 99% of the
population go on a diet before they tie the knot? But I guess I can't afford to do this because in many ways I'm not really normal. Once this ball gets rolling it is SO SO SO hard to get it to stop!

- I tend to justify that since I'm not as "bad" as I once was I must be fine. I tend to lull myself into this false sense of security, thinking that because I'm not X weight or having X symptoms then all is well. But I don't want to walk so close to the edge of the cliff that a little gust of wind (or even a gentle breeze) will push me over. I may not be on my death bed, but I have plenty of evidence that I am NOT treating my body the way I need to. A while back a friend wrote this fabulous post on this same topic. I'm going to cut and paste my comment to her, mostly because I find it so ironic that I can offer such great advice to someone else but have such a HARD time accepting it myself. Can we say hypocrite?

"I think in some ways you're right--our habits become so deeply ingrained that even if the original triggers (like emotional problems, anxiety, lack of coping skills, trauma, etc) are gone we still keep doing what we do because we're "used" to it. The problem is that even if our motivations for doing something aren't the same, the consequences are.
I think one of the hardest stages in recovery is when you're out of the "danger zone" but not necessarily at optimal "health" (plus, who can really define that anyway?). It's easy to justify that things are fine and overlook the fact that being slightly to moderately underweight and occasionally engaging in "some" behaviors can still lead to greater anxiety, depression, fatigue, health probs, etc. Maybe for some people it really doesn't--they can be perfectly healthy and underweight. I think only we can truly judge where our body functions best, yet unfortunately we're also the ones who tend to be distorted. I think if we truly love ourselves and know we can handle any amount of stress and anxiety we won't be afraid to give full recovery a chance. Even if it means saying, "I'm going to do an experiment and get to the weight that those around me are recommending and give it 6 months or a year and see how I feel. If it really doesn't help I can always go back." It seems like if something's purely habit (rather than a way to cope with emotions and anxiety) then there would be less resistance to breaking the habit. That's where I get stuck. I still have a LOT of resistance when it comes to breaking my habits. Plus, I spend so much time trying to find ways to deal with and reduce my anxiety that doing something that would create MORE anxiety seems so counter-intuitive! But lately I've been wondering if I'm missing out on lots of stuff just because I always try to swim with one foot out of the water."

- I don't want to live like this anymore. I want to be healthy and STAY that way. I'm so sick of going back and forth, back and forth. Trying for a while--or even a substantial amount of time, I did so awesome through my pregnancy and for a while afterward--but then going back to the familiar when it gets hard.

- I've gone through this process so many times that I'll be honest I'm scared. I'm scared that I don't have the energy to do it again. I know it probably sounds ridiculous
to those of you who don't have eating disorders, but recovery is so physically and emotionally exhausting that I think I'd rather do this guys job for the rest of my life than go through the process of gaining weight. The hardest part of change is always the beginning, the shifting of your momentum. But knowing it will get easier doesn't change the fact that right now it's really HARD!

I could go on, but I'll spare you. I think the key is just learning to take it one.meal.at.a.time. Taking deep breaths and reminding myself that no matter how bad or hard things seem I really can tolerate it. And most of all, looking into the face of that precious little boy who reminds me that it's ALL worth fighting for.


P.S. If anyone wants to do a good deed and be my lunch date I would owe you my life forever! (and then you'd have leverage to get me to do nice things for you--I'm really good at helping people move, cleaning bathrooms, you name it!)

6 comments:

licketysplit said...

So sorry to hear you're struggling so much right now. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but all I can say is that I know that it is an immensely difficult battle but I also know that you CAN do it. Remember that the struggles you're having right now don't discount the victories and successes you've had in the past. You still have those to build on, which makes you that much more prepared to try to catch this before it gets too out of hand and turn it around. Thinking of you!

Katie said...

Court, you are so loved! All I can say is that you are more amazing then you will ever know. I'm lucky to know you, and I look up to you!

Melanie said...

I wish I had some awe-inspiring advice for you. I can't relate to your exact feelings because I've never experienced what you are going through. I have however dealt with things that are similar. I guess all I can say is to remember how far you have come! It is so important to look back on your accomplishments and recognize how awesome you are. One thing I have definitely come to realize in the last few years is that EVERYONE is dealing with something in their life. Weather it be physically, mentally, emotionally, or all of the above, everyone is working through something. Just remember that you're not alone. I love how you just state your feelings so bluntly. You are an incredible writer. I would love to go to lunch sometime. These next few weeks are really busy for us and I work 3 days a week but maybe next month? Hopefully we get to see you guys at Christmas!

Whitney said...

Court,

I feel bad that I don't have some amazing advice to give you tonight. To be perfectly honest, your comment from Brie's blog said it all and it was something that I needed to hear right now. I think it is so easy for us to start comparing to where we were and to discount our behaviors now. I find myself really struggling with that right now as well. I just want you to know that you are such a strong person and as hard as the road ahead looks, I know that you can pull through and be successful. I have looked up to you since the day we met and I have no doubt in my mind that you can shift your momentum. You and I both know that it's going to be difficult and that you are going to want to throw in the towel but in the end they tell me its really worth it. You have such a beautiful little boy that needs you to live for him. He loves you so much and wants a happy, healthy mommy. I know that sometimes its hard to keep in mind what matters most when life seems so unbearable but I know that you can do this. You are such an inspiration to me.

I would LOVE to do lunch sometime...like, ANYTIME. I am available tomorrow or any day after that. I am on short term disability for a little while so my schedule is WIDE open. It would really benefit me to hang out as well. I just got out of CFC about 3 weeks ago and am trying to keep myself as busy as possible. Text me and let me know when you want to go. I just need an hours notice.

Love you lots!

Whit

KevandChels said...

I'm sorry that I'm reading this so long after you've written it, I wish I'd been able to "respond" sooner, in what little way I can. I know what you mean, to some extent although not all I am sure, about looking ahead at a momentous task and thinking "i can't, it's too hard, i can't climb that hill right now." sometimes, for me, it helps to have a changed perspective. to sleep enough and awake rejuvenated, to read my scriptures for A LONG time, which I know is hard with babies, to walk up a beautiful hill and look over the city and take a deep breath. these are small things that help me gain a little strength to heave myself forward towards a hard task, whether it be a "job" to be done or just a week when I am feeling depressed. i hope you're doing better this week and i'll definitely keep you in my prayers. i think you're the best and that you, of ALL people, CAN do it. you have way more strength than you know.

Keely said...

I love you so much Court. (hug) It is sooo ironic that we can give people the BEST advice (I want to frame that response from you...) but have the HARDEST time implementing it in our own lives. I am here for you. I will eat meals with you anytime! I care about you so much. You are one of my best friends. (hug) I am here for you if you need anything. Seriously, call me.