I need some help. I think I’m going through a quarter-life crisis. Okay, maybe crisis is a bit harsh because most of the changes going on are wonderful, but nonetheless my life is changing so fast I can’t keep up with it. The constant standing, bending, lifting, and long car rides with the Red Cross aren’t very compatible with pregnancy, so most likely I’ll be quitting my job within a month or two. Not that I’m heartbroken or anything, to be honest I never envisioned myself having a long term career as a phlebotomist (not really sure who would!) so in many ways the pregnancy thing was perfect timing. But I’m having a hard time figuring out what in the world to do with myself. Again, don’t get me wrong—there are a million and one things on my “to do” list, but unlike my amazing husband, I’m not one to get very excited about picking paint colors, looking at carpet swatches, and comparing window bids. Ugh. I’ve been trying to pursue some new hobbies, interests, passions, etc. because a lot of the things (both good and bad) that used to keep me busy just don’t work anymore. I mean, trying to take a jog around the block is a joke--I think I get more up and down, bouncy belly momentum than actual forward movement. So out the door (for now) with marathon running, mountain climbing, and even tennis (last time John and I tried to play I lasted 5 minutes on the court before my hips were killing me). I was thinking maybe I could take up Judo, or even Sumo considering my rapidly expanding belly. Or maybe table tennis, do you think winning the Highland High 5th period German class ping pong tournament would qualify me for London 2012? I’m not much of a domestic goddess and even thinking about things like cooking or scrapbooking or home decorating makes me slightly nauseous (though I deeply admire all you Martha Stewarts out there and beg you to give me some tips). I thought about attempting to make a baby quilt, but just looking at a couple patterns sent my anxiety through the roof. I can knit and crochet beanies and I think that’s going to be the extent of my craftiness for a while. One of my problems is I get all these grandiose ideas in my head--like starting some kind of eating disorder treatment program (having been through plenty myself there are so many things I wish they’d do different) or going back to school to become a P.A. so I can travel to 3rd world countries and help fight malaria--that sometimes I forget how it’s usually the small and simple things that really make a difference. Sometimes the shy kid next door needs a friend just as much as (or even more than) the kids in

6 comments:
As my non favorite talk show host OPrah would say, "GIRL WE HEAR YOU!!!".. Seriously. I've been thinking the same thing lately- which is odd because it's like, "Why am I thinking about getting my masters degree, or climbing Kilamanjaro, or traveling to third world countries to do humanitarian aid, or running the China wall marathon when I'm going to be a FULL TIME mom in less than a month???" IT just no sense makes. I feel like since I've gotten to Philly, obviously, not working or going to school, it's like, hmm what to do with myself. I think I get the most satisfaction though, when I try new things- as small as they may be- reading a good, new book, trying out a difficult, fancy recipe, practicing a new song on the piano, sewing, blah blah blah, etc. In pregnancy, it's hard to exert the pent up energy because we can't just up a mountain or run 10 miles to get it out, so whaddya do?? Keep up with the concerto!! I tried to play a Rachmanioff piece the other day and slaughtered it like a pig. You are amazing. I can barely get through a page of his jargon. Will you teach me when I'm back visting? I need some SOS with the notes..
Anyways... call me if you wanna chat and vent- I'm going through the same thing- it's nice to know I'm not the only one.:))
hope all is well. PS.. how bout a pic sometime of the bel, huh? How far are you now? You gotta be at least 26 weeks right? Cuhrazzy girl.
Court, I totally hear you. I worked up until my due date with Lydia, and then expected to have the baby. Being large and in charge, I was not ready to wait for 2 weeks until the baby finally got here! Some things that I did were read lots of baby books. I bought one for you that I need to get to you that I love. Maybe you already know all the info about kids... but I didn't have a clue!!!! These books really helped it go smoother. Being pregnant is hard because you know what is coming, and you can't wait, yet it's not here yet!!! Grrr. Just you wait though, that baby will come, and you will forget how annoying it is to be pregnant. A week after Emma was born, I told Matt that we should have another baby I loved it so much. (even though pregnancy was so not fun.) You are amazing Court, only you would be unselfish enough to want to go to a 3rd world country and fight malaria. I am so impressed.
This is a lot to take in...finding things that are you and that you love and make you happy other than the ED. I think once Baby comes (are you not telling if it's a boy or a girl?) you'll find that being a mommy is part of you, and you'll experience more love and fulfillment and contentment with life and helps bring such strong desires for recovery. I know it's hard, but I'm proud of you.
As far as moving your body and getting exercise, I loved to swim while I was prego. I know the idea of donning a bathing suit isn't all that appealing, but in the water you can't feel the weight of the baby at all, and your back and hip and everywhere pain goes away...it seriously saved me when I was ultra prego and in lots of pain.
Yoga's also pretty awesome, and they have specific classes and DVD's for women that are preggers. Good luck!
I love that you keep searching for yourself. You are not one to settle for less than you are. You just need to remember that perfection could lead to immediate translation, and we need you here~! You write so beautifully, it is always a pleasure to read your thoughts.
speaking of quarterlife crises, I'm about to read It's a Wonderful Lie: 26 Truths About Life in Your Twenties. Lemme know if you want to read it together. :)
I totally know what you mean! I have been blogging a little about that myself. My sister recommended "twenty something, twenty everything." I'm only part way through it (there are a lot of exercises) but my sister swears by it. :)
Post a Comment