I was talking to my parents the other day and my mom reminded me of a saying my dad likes. I don't know if it's an actual quote, so this is just in my own words and I don't have anyone to attribute it to, but this is basically the point:
People change for two reasons, they either feel the heat or see the light.
I think for a long time I have been trying to change only enough to get away from the heat, get some relief, and convince myself that since I feel a little better then that must be good enough. But I am finally realizing what change means when you start to see the light. I think it's only when I see the light of recovery, the light of life, and the light of the gospel that I have the courage to do what I REALLY need to do. To let go of EVERYTHING that's keeping me stuck.
I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty specifics on here, but I have been making some big changes lately. I know I've said that in the past, but there is such a tremendous difference about the way I'm approaching recovery right now that I feel more faith and hope than I have felt in a long time. That doesn't mean it's going to be easy. In fact, I think it's going to be harder than it's ever been because I'm actually allowing myself to go through the refiner's fire. Maybe part of change is both feeling the heat AND seeing the light, because making true, lasting change usually hurts! We can't expect to get the positive results we want if we're not willing to get down and do the dirty work.
"But now, O Lord, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand."

1 comments:
We love you!!! You're making amazing strides! Keep at it!
Post a Comment