Friday, February 5, 2010

Drowning

This is how I feel today. Tomorrow will probably be just fine. Tomorrow I will probably look at all the hard work I've been doing lately and be so grateful that I'm pushing through the muck. And if not tomorrow, maybe some day down the road I'll be able to see things more clearly. Maybe I'll be able to see that my rapidly expanding belly (no, I'm not pregnant...just trying to put on a little weight and it always goes straight to my stomach) is a good thing, not a sign of failure. Maybe I'll be able to see that the goodness inside me isn't gone, or even dormant. But that it's been there all along, keeping my head above water. Even when I "feel" like I'm sinking and that there's nothing left worth saving, there is a part of me that's still fighting. That refuses to forget about the faith and strength and courage that are intrinsic parts of me, of all of us. That knows without a shadow of a doubt that I have a purpose far greater than the cadaverous life that is ED. I wish I could see that today. I wish I wasn't so blinded by all the disappointments and failures and wishes that I was someone entirely different. But I know the only way to find peace is to accept myself, faults and all, right where I'm at. And then to move forward. Because as long as I'm moving I won't drown.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh Court, you are so amazing. Any time you feel like you're drowning, and your waistline is getting bigger, just remember your whale of a prego sis in law. Haha, the joys!

Keely said...

There are so many things I want to say but can't find the words. I know you can do this. It is so, so hard to keep looking ahead when day-to-day struggles and doubt seem all-consuming. And you hit it on the nail when you said that if you keep moving, you won't drown. It is so easy to just stop and start sinking back and turning your back on it saying that you can't help it. Moving and pushing forward is the hardest part. Staying with it even when it feels like it will never pay off. Because as hard as it is right now, it won't last. You will get through this and be stronger in the long run. The hard part it is waiting to get there.