Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tuesday Quotes

I was looking through an old journal the other day and I came across two quotes I'd written down exactly two years ago.

"Nothing is easier than saying words. Nothing is harder than living them, day after day. What you promise today must be renewed and redecided tomorrow and each day that stretches out before you." - Arthur Gordon

"Character is the ability to follow through with the objective or commitment long after the original motivation has passed."
- Quoted by Larry Beckham

Even though I'm in a completely different place now, I feel like I needed those reminders today
just as much as I did back when I wrote them down. I really struggle with losing sight of my goals and committments when things get tough...it's like the feelings of the moment trump all my rational thinking.

I've been trying to figure out how I can not only survive, but actually move forward, when things are hard. I'm still far from finding all the answers, but I do know I've been spending more time praying for faith than ever before. And though no miraculous changes have occurred, I'm noticing little bits of extra strength and patience. And I'm reminded of one more of my favorite quotes:

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the nature of the thing itself is changed, but that our power to do is increased." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I guess, once again, persistence is the key.

2 comments:

Katie M. said...

totally.

whenever we're tossed a trial or hard time, hard day for that matter, it always throws, at least me, way off my saddle and I do lose sight of the goals I've set. I love the Emerson quote- always been a fan of that one.

thanks for the reminders. we all need a little daily dose of it!!!!

great to see you last week and the cute little one.

brie said...

Ooh liked this, especially the first one. Le sigh. I guess I need to go hook myself up to the PEG tube...? Wait what persistence...? Okay...