Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Overdue update--part 1?

Wow...has it really been 3 months since I posted on this blog? What happened? Well, let me tell you. Just a little something called life. This summer has been quite the crazy one and I'll be honest some days I'm not sure how I've survived. But here we are.

Reason #1 I haven't blogged:

I was planning and stressing and worrying about this...

Highland High 10 year reunion



Lots of people had left by the time we snapped this group shot, but still fun to see who was there.


Hallelujah, the reunion was Saturday and now I can breathe again. Yep that's right, I've now been out of high school for 10 years! All in all I think the reunion went pretty well. I think the people who came really enjoyed it, but unfortunately we didn't have a great turnout (60 people out of a class of 420? come on people, where's your school spirit?). I wouldn't really mind a sub-par turnout if it weren't for (as John has explained to me in complicated business terms) fixed and variable costs.

I'm not an experienced party planner and I naively assumed we'd get at least a 100 people, so I decided to go with a venue (The Point up at HCI...which was beautiful by the way) that charged less for food but had a room rental fee. Most reception places do this, but what I didn't realize is that there are some places (like Little America, the Marriott, mostly other hotels and such) that charge more for food but don't have a room rental fee.

Basically, to make a long story short, a $1750 fee spreads out quite nicely when you have 100+ people attend your function. But it doesn't work out so well the other way around. I was also really stressed about how many people said they weren't coming because of the cost, so we ended up cutting our registration fee by $10 which just left us in the hole even more. I'm trying to remind myself that it's not all my fault things turned out this way (though it kind of is) and I'm trying to learn from my mistake (20 yr at Sugarhouse park? make someone who wrote me a nasty email plan the 20 yr?) and move on, but it's hard to forget when there's a huge dent in your bank account left over. Mistakes hurt a lot more when they literally cost a lot. But I guess in the grand scheme of things money is just paper that doesn't make you happy (note: repeat to self daily).

Reason # 2 I haven't blogged:

I'm now 14 weeks along with Crofts baby #2 and thankfully I think things are starting to get better. As in I can now walk in a grocery store without puking in the garbage can right by the entrance (happened several times...very embarrassing), I am no longer waking up 4, 5...10 times a night dry heaving because there was nothing left in my stomach, and sometimes I even feel good enough that I want to eat everything in sight.

Even still, this pregnancy has been HARD on me. I'm having several different frustrating complications, resulting in weekly visits to the high risk OB. Far too much to explain in this update (and probably more information than you really want to know) but maybe I'll go into a little more detail in part 2. Or just call me or email me and I'll spill all the juicy beans because I don't mind sharing all the yucky details, just not so sure I want it out on my public blog.

So far things seem to be ok with the baby but the Dr. says the problems I've been having are just going to keep getting worse and I'm a little scared about that. I feel like an old woman who's body doesn't function correctly anymore...is this what happens when you get close to 30?

Please don't think I'm complaining, because I really am thrilled to be expecting this baby and I'm trying hard to remind myself that this is all worth it.

Reason #3 I haven't blogged:


This kid. I love him to death. But he has been quite the challenge lately. It doesn't help when he gets sick. We spent a week with high fevers, no sleep, and itchy rashes...then 2 weeks trying to get hi
m back on a normal sleep schedule. Johnny needs his sleep like his mama and when both of us are sleep deprived it is scary!

He has been much better behaved this week and I am loving his obsession with cars, letters, numbers, books, and his darling little laugh. The things I'm not loving are dumping a huge cup of ice water all over me while trying to enjoy a rare night out to eat, dumping half a milk jug all over the carpet, figuring out how to climb out of his crib, his recent dislike of being strapped in anywhere (carseat, stroller, highchair) and the resulting bloody murder scream until we let him out. This kid is persistent, have to give him that! Sometimes I feel like he's my stress-o-meter...the more anxious, busy, and stressed I am the more he acts out, which just makes me more stressed and the vicious cycle continues. I've been trying to relax more and spend time just enjoying being a mom and it really does work. He is a much better kid when I take the time to enjoy him.

Ok, gotta run. Reasons 4, 5, 6...etc to come soon, maybe tomorrow even? Gotta keep this blogging streak going!

0 comments: