Friday, January 8, 2010

This is what I will do

If you haven't guessed from my recent posts I've been all over the place lately. Some days I have really struggled, some days I have tried so hard, and lots of days have been somewhere in-between. What I have lacked—and desperately need—is consistency. So I'm committing to myself, and all 3 of you who read this :) that I am going to start doing some things differently. And I'm not going to say this is starting now, because I already started this morning when I got thinking about this stuff so the first step is already done!

  • I need to simplify my approach and figure out a short-term plan--i.e. X cals for breakfast, lunch, dinner, 2 snacks of X cals each, even if I'm just supplementing my meals with ensure or something else that makes figuring out just how much I need to eat a little less anxiety provoking (I really don't want to go back to measuring and obsessively counting the calories of everything I eat). Work on a long term plan of eating a more balanced diet, decreasing unhealthy behaviors, being willing to get my weight to a place that is healthy for my body, exercising moderately and building strength, and accepting the reality that my body is not meant to function at a low weight.

  • Accept that I am not the best judge of where a "healthy" weight for me is. I need to trust the professionals and the scientific data that is more reliable than my own perception (because even after increasing my intake a little this week I'm starting to feel like my weight is back to a normal place).
  • Let go of the belief that I can't gain weight until I'm really sick, that I have to be notably underweight or having serious physical symptoms before I can believe that I need to change. And be grateful that turning things around now will just mean I have less ground to make up (that doesn't necessarily mean it will be easier, but that it won't take as long to reach optimal health).
  • Continue working on other areas of my life (spiritual, social, family, hobbies, educational and career goals, etc) to add to my sense of well-being.
It's kinda weird, and a little atypical, but I'm really excited to start living a healthier life. Well, most people would think that's normal to want to be healthier, but I still have a lot of mixed up associations (such as health=loss of control, gaining weight=failure, Courtney without ED=nothing). I know I won't always feel as motivated as I do right now. I know it will be hard to stay consistent when I am bloated and tired and feeling down on myself. But I also know I CAN do it.

6 comments:

Katie said...

You are amazing Court, you can do it! Now you just need to get me eating healthy. haha.

licketysplit said...

I'm rooting for you! I know it's crazy hard to stop things when they are already starting to careen out of control. It can be tempting to just let yourself crash and then just clean up the wreckage but you can only rebuild so many times before you start to break down for good! I know you know the importance of turning things around now and not later, so just keep reminding yourself of that. You CAN do it! Keep us updated!

Katie M. said...

good for you Court! You TOTALLY can do it! No doubt. I think this sounds like such a great approach to a healthier you. I have to say- when I was at your house and saw your wedding pictures- I couldn't believe nor recall how healthy and wonderful you looked at that normal weight. You glowed with radiance! OF course you look beautiful now too but I haven't seen you at that weight for years. I just hope you can see yourself as others see you, no matter where you are on the scale: gorgeous and ohmyheck so talented! Just keep reading your scriptures EVERY day and stay strong spiritually and you'll overcome the obstacles. You are strong and mighty courageous! Keep doing what you're doing!

xo

Katie M. said...

ps that picture of you is very cool. is that skype photo? how'd you do that? me likey

Whitney said...

Court,

I am so impressed with the goals that you have set for yourself. I know that it can be so incredibly hard to stay as motivated as you felt last week, but I have complete faith that you are capable of great things. There is no doubt in my mind that you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. With that being said, its definitely going to be a challenge. Hang in there and know that if you ever need anything, I am here for you!

By the way, Courtney-Ed does not equal nothing. You have many great qualities that are far better than your ability to lose weight. Keep that in mind.

Love Always,

Whit

Keely said...

This post is amazing. (hug) I'm here to help too. You can do it!