I am a little confused by my motivation and energy levels as of late. Some days I feel like I am wonder woman- I'm able to clean the house, do the laundry, sort through bills, go to work, reorganize drawers and rooms and practically the whole house, AND have time to do a little neighborly service, chat with my sister, email some friends, and possibly even make a scrumptious dinner for my husband. Other days, like today, I don't work, don't do any laundry, or dishes, or even make a dent in my to-do list. I even have a hard time doing things that I normally find enjoyable. For example, la
tely I've been having a little problem with reading. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love to read. I'll never claim to be the die hard reader my sister Megan is, but I think reading is one of the greatest ways to continually learn and expand your ways of thinking. However, lately all I seem to do is add books to my "currently reading" list. Today I checked out 7 new books at the library (all over at least 300 pages, though only 1 of the 7 is a novel), and when I got home I realized I already had a pile of 15 books sitting by my bed, waiting to be read. In case you don't believe me, here's proof- and this is without Goose Girl and another book I couldn't find at the moment. Sometimes I feel like this is how I live my life. I want everything- to do everything and be everywhere and experience it all. Yet I get so overwhelmed by everything in front of me that I'm not sure where to start. Sometimes I don't even know which books I want to read and which ones I feel like I should read. I am so prone to black and white thinking, where there's always a right or wrong- when in reality there are so many shades of gray. There is no moral judgment in picking one book from another, no written rule saying we should have this hobby or X number of friends or even that we have to cross off a certain number of items from our to-do list to call the day a success. Progression just can't be measured by the achievement based, linear way of thinking our world promotes. Sure, I don't have a lot of external proof of what I've done today, but this afternoon I've spent hours writing about a dream I have that I am determined to make a reality. I even created a new blog where I can start forming ideas and making lists of the steps I need to take to get myself started. And it doesn't matter that sometimes my eyes are bigger than my stomach. For a long time, any type of wanting scared me into thinking my "appetites" couldn't be trusted, that the only way I'd be safe is if I suppressed them and shut them off. But gradually I've come to learn that though the mind often gets in the way, if we listen to the true desires of our hearts we will be guided toward the inner fulfillment we long for. We will realize that sometimes a little is enough, sometimes a small effort goes a long way, and that somehow love makes up for a lot of the missing pieces.
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Wanting more than I can feasibly "digest"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
so, I hear ya... it's almost too much to comprehend starting one book because there are so many I want to read. With little kids, it becomes very very hard to read, so I will just have to continue my list and pick away at it very slowly.
PS: Does John like the picture? I tried to adapt it... let me know, I can find something else if he hates it.
Post a Comment