I've been in a funk. Not necessarily an all bad one, because in some ways I'm doing some pretty great things, but for some reason lately I have had no desire to blog, read blogs, comment on blogs, etc. Not that I don't love all of you friends and family members...I'm genuinely interested in the things you've been up to and I really love lending support when I can, but lately I've been feeling like blogging is just one more thing I use to feel like I'm not good enough. I feel guilty that I'm not a very good blogger, that I only post sporadically, that I don't have anything interesting to write about, that I'm too negative on my personal blog, that I'm not doing 101 fun things with my kid each day that I beautifully document, that I get so stuck going circles in my life and tend to write about the same things over and over, that I'm not very computer and graphic savvy and I have no cool layout or blog header...basically this list could go on and on but the main point is that I've been falling into the comparison trap.
Friday, March 5, 2010
Dry Spell
Lately my solution to comparing has been to avoid, but I find that doesn't really help matters either. I think the real key is reminding myself that other people's successes and strengths don't detract from my worth as an individual. In fact, when I give someone a genuine compliment or congratulate them for something they've achieved it actually makes me feel better about myself. I no longer feel jealousy and envy telling me I'm not good enough because I'm not doing X, but I start to feel gratitude that I have such amazing people around me that are examples of what I want to be like. And lately I've been working really hard on just being okay with where I'm at now. I may not be the mom I wish I were, I may not be using my time as well as I could, some days I feel like I'm still so far from being recoverED, and other days I wish I hadn't come so dang far in my recovery. But you know what? I'm okay. As silly and cliche as it sounds, I'm learning to like me just because I'm me. And in many ways I think it's good practice for me to not be a great blogger because it's proving to myself that I can do something without doing it perfectly. So next time I start to feel guilty because I've gone weeks without a post I'll remind myself that I'm not a failure but rather a success--because I'm learning to not live by all those expectations I've put on myself, but instead by what I want.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I hear ya Court, sometimes I just don't want to deal with the blogging world for fear of what others will think. Be it that I can't write well, what I have to say is silly, they don't care etc. That's why I've been on a hiatus lately too. Just know that I LOVE reading your blog, and especially seeing my little nephew's face!
I think each person in this blogging world has to cope with feelings you've expressed. It's a compare-contrast-guilt-ridden experience at times and the key is to take all with a grain of salt and count your blessings.
You're a great blogger, though! A fabulous writer! And you've got everything in the world going for you. Chin up and keep it coming.
I love reading what everyone is doing you included. I don't think people realize how many people blog stalk each other and it really means a lot when you can read what their doing. I totally agree when I feel like I'm not good enough with what everyone else has going on in their lives. Keep it up, this is the only contact I have with so many people from the past.
I love reading your blog, no matter when you write. I go through periods where I won't write for a long time and then I'll write everyday. You are such an amazing person Courtney. I love hanging out with you because you're you. (hug)
Post a Comment