Thursday, June 25, 2009

The futility of comparing

I really wasn't going to bore people with quotes from the book I mentioned in my last post, but this one is so good I couldn't help but share:

"In a world that constantly compares people, ranking them as more or less intelligent, more or less attractive, more or less successful, it is not easy to really believe in a love that does not do the same. When I hear someone praised, it is hard not to think of myself as less praiseworthy; when I read about the goodness and kindness of other people, it is hard not to wonder whether I myself am as good and kind as they; and when I see trophies, rewards, and prizes being handed out to special people, I cannot avoid asking myself why that didn't happen to me.

"The world in which I have grown up is a world so full of grades, scores, and statistics that, consciously or unconsciously, I always try to take my measure against all the others. Much sadness and gladness in my life flows directly from my comparing, and most, if not all, of this comparing is useless and a terrible waste of time and energy.

"Our God does not compare. Never. Even though I know in my head that this is true, it is still very hard to fully accept...I cannot fathom how all of God's children can be favorites. And still, they are...I am convinced that many of my emotional problems would melt as snow in the sun if I could let the truth of God's non-comparing love permeate my heart."

This really hit home for me. It's comforting to think that it really doesn't matter where you are or what you do in comparison to other people, all that really matters is that you're doing your best. Like the author said in this quote, it's hard to remember this truth when we live in a world that bases almost everything on comparisons (education, jobs, athletics, etc). I often look at the amazing talents, accomplishments, and strengths of people around me and feel like I will never be as "good" as everyone else. But I'm realizing more and more that feeling inferior and inadequate is a waste of time and energy.

We're all faced with different challenges and it's okay if some days my best is just getting out of bed and facing the day. And it's okay if someone else's best is climbing Mt. Everest, curing cancer, and still having time to feed the homeless all in one day (um, ok maybe that's not ENTIRELY possible, but you get the point). Other people's accomplishments don't need to threaten my own sense of worth. In fact, one of the greatest parts of life is that we have such different strengths that compliment each other. And what amazing things we can do when we start viewing life as a race we all win together rather than one where we're competing with one another. Cheesy, but true.

3 comments:

Katie said...

That is a really interesting quote! Thanks for sharing it. I read a talk the other day that talked about some of the same things. You should read it and let me know what you think!
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=c63b71ec9b17b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1

Keely said...

I really, really love this post. Thank you so much for sharing. I have been comparing so much lately, and it's completely true that it's a waste of time and energy because I just feel so much worse afterwards. I love your ending quote that says and what amazig things we can do when we start viewing life as a race we all win together rather than one where we're competing with one another. I am going to print and save your post. :)

Melanie said...

I loved your thoughts on this and also the quotes. It's true that we all compliment each other with our different strengths. I forgot to tell you the other day on the phone that I'd love to go running some time. You would totally kick my butt though. So if you don't mind me slowing you down... :)