Thursday, February 5, 2009

Strange, but true

When I try too hard to be happy, I feel depressed...when I just accept that it's okay to be down, I feel much happier.

When I stress over my kid's bad sleep patterns, he sleeps even less...when I prepare to be up all night and stop assuming that it's because I'm a bad mother, he miraculously sleeps through the night.

When I don't eat enough, I feel fat...when I give my body what it needs, I feel better about myself and what I weigh doesn't seem to matter as much.

When I spend a lot of time thinking about my own problems, the worse they seem...when I get out and try to help someone else, my own problems don't seem so bad.

When I've got a wide open day, nothing seems to get done...when I've got a crazy full schedule I somehow find time to get exponentially more accomplished.

When I go shopping I feel like I need everything I see...when I go through my closets I realize I already have way too much stuff and I should be giving stuff away, not buying more.

Wishing life weren't so hard only makes it harder...accepting that life is hard allows me to relax and enjoy the times when it's pretty great.

3 comments:

Katie M. said...

Amen, courtney! Amen. So insightful and profound.

Katie said...

Court, you really should write a book, you are so insightful!

Keely said...

Amen, sista!