Monday, November 24, 2008

Patience is a virtue...that I wish I had!

39 weeks, 4 days, and still no baby. Sometimes I wish they didn't say that the baby is full term at 37 weeks because ever since then I have been so anxious for this baby to come and I'm starting to think he is a little too comfortable in my womb. And all those tricks they say help get labor started? Pretty sure they don't work unless you're already IN labor! But oh well, at least I've gotten to enjoy some awesome spicy food (Mexican, Thai, Indian, you name it!) and I'll be ready to hop on the professional speed walking tour as soon as this kid comes out. John found this random tip online saying that walking along the curb (with one foot down and one foot up) helps speed up effacement so last night we walked all the curbs and gutters of downtown SLC. I also tried a little skipping, hopping, and bouncing but all that got me was a backache and painful contractions that went away as soon as I sat in the car. It was worth all the funny looks from people however, I probably looked so crazy that I'm surprised I didn't get arrested for public intoxication! I'm trying to be patient and to take advantage of having some free time (because we all know that will change) but patience is definitely not one of my strengths. So if you mothers have any other tips on how to get labor rolling--besides all the ones in the book--PLEASE let me know!! Otherwise this kid will be talking and walking by the time he's born!

10 comments:

Julie said...

oh man! I've been checking your blog so much, I'm so excited for your little guy to get here! My doctor told me walking, spicy food and sex will get your baby out. But I don't know, I also read that it only works if you're in actually in the early stages of labor. I was pretty anxious too though and we went to Cafe Rio for a spicy burrito the night Tucker was born. I don't know if it put me in labor but I really do think it speed things along. My contractions started getting stronger as I was eating! Good luck Court and it's wise to enjoy time to yourself while you can (especially a good night's sleep!). I know you're anxious though, good luck!! I can't wait to get our little guys together! xoxoxo

The Lambs said...

just remember that he'll come when he's ready and he's enjoying the hot tub all that he can, and neither of my boys came before their due dates. That's an amazing pic of your belly though- put it in his baby book so he can see what your body went through for him! God speed!

Carolooney said...

Oh Courtney, you make me laugh. If I could help you I would. Maybe he is just stubborn like his Daddy. You must know that he will come sometime, if not, he will be bigger than you are! Keep smiling. It is probably the only thing that you can do anymore without real effort!

Katie said...

I wish I could see the look on your face in that picture. Heaven knows how annoying it is to be on edge every minute of the day waiting for that intense pain which means it's for real. I wish I could have seen you guys walking the curbs. That's pretty funny. I'd say to go running around your neighborhood... that would for sure get some good stares.

alriggells said...

I am so sorry that you are still prego and they told you that 37 weeks was full term. My sister just had a baby and they told her that her due date was the 8th and the little one stayed baking till the 12th, and even then they had to enduce her cause that little twit didn't want to come. Sorry I am sure you didn't need to hear that. So sorry

Adam and Rachel said...

I swear that going on a lot of walks is what brought Isaac out. I went for 2 a day toward the end there (but he was still 3 days late!) Good luck Court!

The Speres said...

I have no children and hence, no valid pointers! I DO know that they cry once they're out, so at least you don't have to hear him cry yet! (Crying babies make me sad...)

Keely said...

I don't have any children either, but I did look online and aside from the helpful comments listed above and the ones you've tried, acupressure is also listed as a good way to induce labor.

www.maternityacupressure.com

They had all these herbs you can eat, but who has evening primrose oil, blue and black cohosh (what is that?),False Unicorn root, and red raspberry leaf in their house? Mine is right next to the sugar...ha ha!

Bruschke said...

hang in there!! I will call you tomorrow to chat.

The Lambs said...

And he's here! Congratulations!!!! Can't wait to see more pictures and hear mmore about it. Here's to a quick recovery!!!