Tuesday, January 29, 2008

So much to be grateful for!

I was just realizing it's been way to long since I've posted on here, not for a lack of things to write about but rather because life has been so busy. But lately I have been feeling such an overwhelming sense of gratitude that I can't help but share some of these thoughts.

I am so grateful for challenges- even those that I wouldn't necessarily choose. When I accepted the calling as a Relief Society teacher I was pretty sure they'd be releasing me after watching my feeble attempts at teaching, but for some reason they haven't let me go quite yet and I am so blessed by this calling. I love the opportunity to have more purposeful, directed gospel study and I feel like my knowledge and understanding of the gospel is growing so much. As I was preparing for my last lesson out of the Joseph Smith manual on "God the Etern
al Father" I came across this book by James E. Talmage called the Eternal Man.As I started skimming through the first chapter I found myself so engrossed and excited to find profound insights on many of the philosophical questions I have often asked myself. I don't have time to get into much detail right now, but I was so blessed to pick up this book- because at the end of the first chapter was a direct quote from my lesson that I had been pondering for weeks!

It is quite miraculous how many tender mercies of the Lord surround us if we only take the time to look for them. I love the gospel so much. I love that even in a world full of so much pain, suffering, inequality, and hardship our Father in Heaven has prepared a way for us to have peace, joy, love, and happiness.

The quote from my lesson that I love so much says, "If men do not comprehend the character of God, they do not comprehend themselves." It later goes on to say, "When we understand the character of God, and know how to come to Him, He begins to unfold the heavens to us, and to tell us all about it. When we are ready to come to Him, He is ready to come to us."

I have been so amazed to find that the more I learn of God's love, the more I want to love myself and others. The more I comprehend his forgiveness and mercy, the more I want to forgive myself and others. The more I understand His ability to view us as unique individuals with different challenges, circumstances, and needs, the more I want to view myself and everyone around me without judgment. I'm so tired of the world's way of measuring our worth- it's like a never ending competition where we're never quite enough because no matter how hard we work someone else will always be ahead. The beauty of the gospel is that we can all win together, no matter where we individually lie. This truly is the greatest of all gifts!

3 comments:

Emily said...

I hope you had a good bday yesterday! I meant to email you but my internet failed last night. I was thinking about you, though! Thanks again for blogging!

Taylor, Melanie and Grace said...

I love the words at the end of your post "in the gospel we all win together". How true! I also love the quote by James E. Talmage. I bet you are an incredible Relief Society teacher! :)

Anonymous said...

Kort! It's Katie (Carter) Tingey! I am so happy to have found your blog and I am so glad to hear that things are going better for you! Kort, you are one of the greatest, most genuine people I know and when I heard you were dealing with some struggles I was so sad! Your post is not a downer- if anything I think it is great words of encouragement!

Also,I went with my in-laws to Riviera Maya this August! Is it the greatest place ever? I want to talk to you more about Mexico and your phleb. experiences! You'll have to send me your email. Mine is ketner1500@hotmail.com. Take care and keep in touch!